Confident, Creative And In Control
Our Lawyers Weather The Legal Storm So That You Don’t Have To

Helping Grandparents See Their Grandchildren

In many families, grandparents play a crucial role in their grandchildren’s lives. It may be because they provide primary care, or it may be because the children rely on their love and support. In either situation, keeping grandparents away from their grandchildren can be extremely difficult for everyone involved.

Understanding the laws governing grandparents’ rights can be challenging. Not every state gives grandparents standing to seek custody or visitation rights, but Pennsylvania does. If your grandchildren are being kept from you, speak with a lawyer to learn about your rights. If it is in the best interest of the children to see you, a judge may award custody or visitation rights.

Call Silverman, Tokarsky & Forman, L.L.C, at 814-792-2412 to discuss your options with one of our caring, experienced family law attorneys.

Seeking Custody And Visitation Rights

When grandparents are the primary caregivers for their grandchildren, a parent’s refusal to let them spend time together can be devastating. Grandparents in Pennsylvania can seek custody and visitation rights under certain circumstances — most often, when the parents are not able to care for the children.

The court considers the welfare of the children in cases in which there are concerns about parental fitness. This may include cases of parents who are struggling with substance abuse, are too young to care for a child, or are incarcerated or deceased.

Grandparents seek rights to their grandchildren for other reasons as well. If the parents are not married and will not allow grandparents to spend time with the grandchildren, the grandparents may seek visitation rights. The court will consider whether this relationship provides critical emotional benefits to the children.

Our Attorneys Understand Your Concerns

Please contact us online or call 814-792-2412 today for an appointment. We can meet you at our offices in Johnstown, Somerset and Windber.